Joan Lunden: Former ‘GMA’ Co-Host Suffering From Breast Cancer

Joan Lunden, 63, stopped by ‘Good Morning America’ on June 24 to reveal that she is suffering from breast cancer, and is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

Joan Lunden, former co-host of Good Morning America and broadcasting legend, stopped by her former stomping grounds on June 24 to reveal to Robin Roberts that she is suffering from breast cancer and is currently undergoing chemotherapy. Read on for more of this sad story.

Joan Lunden Has Breast Cancer, Former ‘GMA’ Co-Host Reveals

Joan broke the news on GMA and on her personal blog at the same time. “After a core biopsy was performed, I heard those words that every woman fears and that I never thought I’d hear: “you have breast cancer.” ,” she wrote, “but I never actually thought this would happen to me.”
Joan was in sympathetic company by breaking the news on GMA — not only was she their longest-running co-host, with her run lasting from 1980 to 1997, but GMA hosts Robin and Amy Robach have also been treated for breast cancer.

The former GMA anchor’s treatment will include a lumpectomy and radiation along with chemotherapy, and is expected to make a full recovery.

Joan Lunden: ‘Breast Cancer Is Not Something To Be Ashamed Of

Another excerpt from her blog reads:
I have decided to talk about my breast cancer because since the moment I took the job at Good Morning America I have lived my life sharing my joys and my disappointments with all of you: my pregnancies, my relationships, my career… I have shared my journey. So it certainly didn’t feel right keeping this part of my journey a secret.

Breast cancer is not something to be ashamed of or something that we should feel is taboo to discuss.
I’ll admit, even though I’ve shaped my career around health and wellness advocacy, speaking all over the country, and even running a women’s wellness camp where I encourage others to share their stories… it took me some time to embrace the idea of coming forward with MY breast cancer journey.

I have already begun my chemotherapy and I am blessed to have my husband Jeff and my three older daughters with me every step of the way. I am so thankful to have the support, wisdom, and guidance from all my doctors and the loving support of my family and my friends. I know I have a challenge ahead of me in this journey, however I have chosen to take it as an opportunity to fulfill my father’s legacy and try to inspire others to protect their health. 
Our best wishes to Joan’s family and to Joan herself for a full recovery!